Tuesday, April 04, 2006

(Re)Claiming Focus-Perhaps

Focus is a key issue for any individual, group, or organization.
However, to have focus, an individual, group, or organization must first take time to reflect on what has already occured and what is desired for the future.

I am often amazed at my own lack of focus. In reflection, it seems that the pieces can all fit together as if there has been just one path all along.
But while planning it often seems there are many issues, many needs....I am not sure where I should put my energy next.

From time to time I get a call from a fellow do-gooder and we talk about various projects. This one would do better if they had a space, another would do better if they had books, another would do better if they had a regular membership, and yet another would do better if they had a coherent vision.

Ah, that vision. That focus. How to get it?

For an individual, it seems easy: "What do you want to do?"
But I have found it is really perhaps more a question of "What are you able to find a space to do?"

I would like to blame any lack of focus on the many messages in the news. There are too many things that needs fixing. From what I can tell from attending political meetings and non-profit board meetings, as well as from talks with students and friends, the things in this world that need fixing are just too big to tackle all at once...so why try.....OR even worse, in my opinion, are the people who have latched on to a philosophical or perspective-based point in a complex argument and have decided to leave it there. I blame the news for keeping us feeling like we have enough information to engage in a debate on HOW things should be or HOW we can "fix" our social problems.

Focus, I now think, can be reclaimed by finding a small patch of community and staying there to explore the many faceted dimensions of what it will take to make a difference right there where you are.

I am not suggesting that you stop watching or reading the news, I am only suggesting that you start getting more involved in the news that should be reported on what is happening in your own "back yard"--your own local politics and area do-gooders.

No comments: