Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Its Health Week in DC: Tell your Representatives What you want and Why you might Vote for them


This week Congress is addressing the complex issue of health insurance.

I wish I had more to say, more ideas to share to help devise a way to give all Americans health insurance, which at least seems to be a goal shared by Democrats, Republicans, and Independents in Congress.

All I can do is vote and remind people in government that I vote, its what I do, I vote for them and it puts them in office, but I do not just vote for the hell of it, I vote for people who serve my interests.

I vote for people who I believe will do what is best for America and especially for people who are economically disadvantaged.

What I have done, all I can do is to tell my representatives in the Senate that they should be working to not only help more if not all American to have health insurance but also to ensure that health insurance providers be regulated and required to provide preventative care screenings in addition to a myriad of services that are necessary to promote productive, healthy, and happy lives for all regardless of age, gender, religion (and hopefully soon economic standing).

In addition to blocking two other bills that would limit patients' financial gains from malpractice suits, Democrats in the Senate have also committed themselves to finding a way to make health insurance affordable.

Democrats have a limited time to address the cost of health insurance, although the Washington Post article by Kevin Freking states that the democrats have not ruled out a filibuster, as of 10:00 am today the Senate voted 96-2 to invoke Cloture on the Motion to proceed to S. 1955; Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability Act of 2005.

Apparently the democrats are putting together an alternative bill that would help small businesses to insure their workers, the new bill is expected to mimic the health insurance for federal workers.

However, the question is if hey will be able to maintain state regulations on benefits. According to the article, some small business plans are already exempt from State regulations. This is perhaps the biggest issue of all, how to keep health care affordable while maintaining a commitment to fight preventable diseases through early screenings, immunizations, and treatments.

Following issues is an important part of involvement. I was lucky enough to be alerted to S. 1955, I investigated it, and I have followed its progress. I wish I had more ideas of how to keep insurance premiums down while also promoting preventative care!

The sense of not being informed and able to offer constructive criticism is probably the most defeating feeling of citizenship.

I am not an expert, I barely have a clue on how to resolve this issue, and I certainly do not have enough information, but I do have an opinion about what is best for me and for fellow citizens. All I can do, the least that I can do...or is it the most that I can do??? Is to tell my representatives what I want and to remind them that my next vote in their favor is dependent on their actions, is dependent on how well they represent my interests!

No comments: