Friday, July 21, 2006

My Opinion Matters?? Tips on how to fill a Bucket

I would very much like to think my opinion matters. However, I do not think it wise to take this too much to heart, to think that it is me, myself, and I whose voice matters.....I am a drop in the bucket, literally.

Now that I am in Pennsylvania, I signed up to get email alerts on Bob Casey's campaign for Senate. Yesterday, I received an email from Casey's campaign manager to let me know that in "just 18 seconds" I "can make a huge difference in beating Rick Santorum."
Pretty exciting, right. It is.

Apparently, Senator Barbara Boxer has a Political Action Committee for a Change. All I had to do was click on a link and I was sent to an online poll where I could vote for the Democrat I think Boxer's PAC should do some fundraising for next.

Luckily, Casey was tied for first place....all those little droplets that hit the bucket before me were making a differnce. This is where just a few droplets more could really help. I voted and promptly emailed the message I received to a few family members (I do not have many friends in PA, mainly family...I guess I could have sent the message to people who do not live in PA, but that would feel like cheating to me).

I did not use the system in place on Boxer's PAC for a Change to send the emails that would alert my family (and any potential friends) because I did not want them to be unwillingly added to any potential list. I was also careful to uncheck the box that was of course checked by default, this checked box would have made sure I was put on Boxer's PAC for a Change email list and who knows what else.

While I may be interested (and I am), I have been made aware of it and can now return to the website to examine it at my pleasure. I imagine that if I realize there is a lot going on that I am missing because I am not getting the notices or alerts, then I can sign up and write all my family (and friends) and tell them about all the interesting, do good for the world things we are missing.

I neglected to mention in my email to my family that there was a deadline for the vote, that is something that I should remember for next time. What I am most pleased with is that I let told them about a simple way to make their opinion, as well as my own opinion, matter without putting their emails into a database. I would hate for people to ignore or opportunities to get involved simply because they find the alerts too bothersome.

And there is such a thing as too bothersome in a campaign, like the door flyers that reappear everyday like a restaurant menu...or the recorded phone messages, which are indeed worse than the people doing the opinion calls.

So, if the people I contacted voted, along with a few hundred others (likely) we may have filled that bucket and helped Casey raise more money, which is indeed very important considering Santorum has apparently already raised $20 million!

As of 6pm July 20th, Bob Casey has 20% of the votes. The polling continues until 11:59 July 21st.T You can make a difference, give the online poll a try!

No comments: