Sunday, November 12, 2006

America is Awake!

I was almost surprised to see this. My neighbor's feed business posted this sign on November 8.







I guess he was not too happy with the outcome--Democrats are in control of both houses of congress.

A few friends emailed me, knowing how I tend to be involved in grassroots campaigns, and congratulated me on the recent gain.

As I have commented in past postings, I have noticed Democrats in meetups to have been suffering from the frustration of loss and a sense of helplessness.

As Democrats may be feeling waves of relief, hope, and determination Republicans may also be feeling--as the sign my neighbor posted indicates--waves of frustration, fear, and loathing. Good. I would like them to feel it for a least a short while. After they process a full range of grief, I hope they will begin to reach out to bi-partisan efforts with a bit more humility than our President.

I have not been able to find the quote yet, but I believe the President's first word on the subject of a change of power in the house was that he was a little disappointed. In his radio address on 11 November Bush said,

"The message of this week's elections is clear: the American people want their leaders in Washington to set aside partisan differences, conduct ourselves in an ethical manner, and work together to address the challenges facing our Nation. This is important work that will demand the hard effort and good faith of leaders from both sides of the aisle, and I pledge to do my part."

I hope my neighbor heard that!

In closing, I just want to say that I was pleased with the comments that came out of Pelosi and Bush's first meeting (click to read the transcript).
I am hoping this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, it seems they are both going to be able to forget all the dirty talk during the election.

Americas are awake, and I hope this means none of us will be so stubborn to let differences get in the way of making progress in areas of health insurance, education, health care, an Iraq exit strategy, and the 9-11 commission recommendations.



No comments: