Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting in PA? Vote for Freedom and Economic Growth!


How am I voting in my PA district? Far too often, I think I am voting for people because I believe they must be better than the incumbents.

Mainly, I am voting for democrats, people who are fiscally responsible, interested in creating peace and who are pro-choice, or at least not firmly anti-choice.

I believe I am voting for freedom-- women's freedom and economic freedom.



For U.S. Senate I am voting for Bob Casey. Mainly, I am voting for him because he is not Rick Santorum, the incumbent republican.

Casey, I believe, is pro-life, I am trying not to hold this against him. I believe his promises to make our government accountable, reducing debt, supporting veterans, expanding insurance for low-income families.

Better health care, quality education, a clean environment, rural development, and the issues facing the many elderly are key issues not only for PA but for many states.

Santorum has supported Bush and many of the decisions I did not support, like war in Iraq.
Santorum is an anti-choice candidate, as confirmed by NARAL pro-choice voting guide for PA. Our current governor, Ed Rendell is a certified pro-choice candidate. Casey is not really saying a lot, or I have not heard enough, about what he would do to curtail a woman's choice to get an abortion or access birth control. Pennsylvania is very rural, and a woman's right to choose is already marginalized by issues of access. I am going to bet that Casey will not support legislation to reduce reproductive rights; unfortunately, I do not think he will be a champion either.

As I have already indicated, I will be voting for Ed Rendell (D), the incumbent.
Rendell was a vet and a mayor of Philadelphia. Under his leadership job growth has increased from 41st to the 15th in national ranking. There is also a very interesting gaming bill underway. Rendell has also been supporting ethanol production, which as potential for a fuel-additive and could help bring jobs to many people in Pennsylvania. The first plant will be coming to Clearfield County.

Swan, unfortunately, looks to be a bit of a Bush-man who will support party politics more so than what is actually needed.

I live in PA's 5th district and I will be voting for Donald Hiller (D). I am voting for him because he is pro-choice. He also wants to increase funding for education alternatives. This seems like a smart political trade. There is a lot of anti-choice support in Pennsylvania.

I think that anti-choice supporters can be appeased by offering a space for them to promote their perspective. They want people to choose not to have an abortion. I think many pro-choice supporters would also hope that people would not need to have an abortion. Working together, maybe we can help stop unplanned pregnancy. His support for pro-choice policies as well as increases in funding for abortion alternatives is a sign he would move in that direction: one that would actually work to find solutions rather than just legislate opinion.

Hiller is also for increased construction and development in rural areas, which is much needed and is probably an issue of reducing harm and higher costs later.
He also is for increasing minimum wage, but is sensible enough to also make the point that there will be a need to minimize the impact any raise will have on small business.

Unlike John Peterson (R), who is decidedly anti-choice. Hiller, like Rendell, is also actively supporting Ethanol fuel-additive reform. He opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants, which is probably smart politics but does not really offer a solution. Most interestingly is his wish to prevent abuse of government wiretapping.

In my state's General Assembly House of Representatives District 66, I will be voting for Samy Elmasry (D), mainly because he is not Sam Smith (R). Sam Smith is anti-choice, and he is against gay marriage. He also seemed very reluctant to help a local non profit called Save our Schools in its attempt to stop the closing of the Big Run Elementary school and other schools that will surely follow. There is no check on local school boards, who can people turn to if not their state representatives?

Elmasry has not made a lot of statements. I have has a hard time figuring out exactly where he stands, but in this case I am going with the devil I don't know rather than the devil I know.
Elmasry supports home-based medical care, he supports legislation that will supplement slot machines proceeds with income tax changes. Regressive taxes on home/landowners just does not work in a state like PA, especially for small farmers in rural and economically disadvantaged areas! He also supports a slight increase in sales taxes. Sam Smith says this type of legislation is a good first step It is obviously a complicated issue. We need people who are willing to try new things.

Rendell has not supported the slot machine legislation. He also vetoed the proposal to have the Lottery support the increases to services to the elderly population. I have not seen enough of the proposals at this point to make a firm statement about what would be best, and so I am going to be swayed by party lines and pro-choice freedoms.

Do your best to educate yourself: I know it is difficult and we all have busy lives.
Vote Today!!

No comments: